Sunday, May 04, 2008

Goodbye links, Goodbye craft store

Ah, I had to wave goodbye to all my links and sidebar stuff when I changed templates. I saved it all in a notepad document, but do I feel like bothering with it? Not quite yet.

At least I am getting back in the crochet swing again. Got two squares finished for the 12" CAL, made a small granny square afghan, and am making a hexagonal granny as part of a CAL on craftster.

Sometimes it seems I spend 90% of my crochet time winding yarn, or untangling yarn, or frogging yarn! Progress on projects has been slow. I did organize my yarn-stash, which helped.

My little local craft store shut down. They were kind of pathetic, but still, if you needed a skein of Red Heart on short notice (and weren't too choosy on color) it was a lot quicker than going across town or into the giant conglomerate. Beyond that, though, I have FOND MEMORIES of the place. I've been in there now and then for fifteen years. I saw them through the occasional renovation/rearrangement. I saw them through a name change. After Christmas sales. I bought yarn in there, both Red Heart and the little balls of Sugar N Cream cotton yarn for dishcloths and the occasional piece of scrapbook paper for ATC's. Lots of stuff over the years. I knew it was only a matter of time, though. The last few years I had the feeling they weren't even TRYING anymore, you know? Nothing was ever stocked, and the only craft they really seemed interested in catering to was scrapbooking and I don't think they had the number of customers in this tiny little town to support that.

So anyway. One of these days I will have to make A Trip across town and load the car with yarn, haha. Like a pioneer woman going into town for flour.

No comments: