Monday, April 10, 2006

I Didn't Really Want to Make Socks Today Anyway

The sock pattern did not arrive and I'm wondering if it's time for the Politely Worded Email yet. Furthermore, I found myself in Joanne's today and dashed to the wonderful new Wall-of-Needles to buy myself a second set of #2 dpns so I could make TWO socks at the SAME TIME, only to discover the sizes offered only went down to #3.

On the plus side, I got a gigantic skein of cream yarn so I could start Beatrice over.

Ah, Beatrice.

I started a crochetalong for ole' Bea over on Craftster a while back, and we've been having a time over there trying to decipher it out, I tell you.

I've been crocheting for ages, I'm not a novice or anything. But every time I worked on this thing, I felt like I had to have a lie-down and a cold beverage afterwards. The directions were incredibly complicated - a solid paragraph of bafflement that I marked up with layers and layers of highliter pen. And there were errors. And yet... I kept going back. It was like trying to decode some secret language that you were just hovering on the verge of understanding.

And the irony? It's simple. It is a SIMPLE pattern. Let me reiterate. IT'S A SIMPLE PATTERN. I reached that point today AT LAST where you don't have to look at the directions every 10 seconds anymore, you know that point where you just roll happily along listening to the radio and thinking about whatever you want? That point. So here she is. I did make a mistake in Row 1, but I wasn't starting this thing over AGAIN! I've just started Row 3 here, so I have a ways to go before I have an actual garment, but it's a start, and I've cracked the code.

No comments: