Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Harry Bear!

Harry Bear I

Harry Bear II


Here he is! I knitted wildly for two days and voila! Thank you Leah for suggesting the lightening bolt and glasses!!

The pattern: HERE

The bear is made in two halves, front and back. I did have some issues with the "Front Body" part of the pattern, Rows 12-22. Not sure I can explain it, but here goes...... if the arms are 9 stitches wide, and the area between them is 13 stitches wide according to Rows 13 onward (9 + 13 + 9 = 31) , then later when they tell you to bind off the arms, they say you should be left with 9 stitches for the head but you have 13. (9 + 9 + 9 would have been 27) I don't know what this was supposed to be. The back of the bear uses 9 + 10 + 9. But I played around with it and got it to work somehow. Hurray for black yarn not showing that sort of thing!

Also, that WTS stitch made me put this off for a long time, but it's really not hard, I just jotted down a note on the page in a way that I could remember it easily.

He's made of acrylic worsted on size 10's.

His scarf is sock wool on 7's ~ I just made it up on the fly ~ it's 7 stitches across, stockinette. I think I used * 10 rows red, 2 rows gold, 2 rows red, 2 rows gold. *

2 comments:

Leah said...

Wow! Harry looks great! I'm glad that I could help! I think the lightning bolt & glasses are fab touches!

It's good to see you knitting again! ;)

Horse Power said...

Thanks! Just picking up the needles and knitting a swatch seemed to do the trick. I made a little hat out of it for the next bear.